The “spicy” in the title is very apt. Next time I make this, I’m going to use one tsp. of red pepper flakes. But making the recipe as is still nets you a very good, very substantial one-pot meal; it’s just very hot. I didn’t have any linguine on hand so I used thin spaghetti. Hey, after all, it’s called spicy eggplant pasta, not spicy eggplant linguine.
Makes 4-6 servings
2 med. eggplants
sea salt (I used regular table salt.)
3 T. olive oil, divided
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped plum tomatoes or one 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes (I used both because halfway through, I thought the sauce needed more substance.)
1 T. fresh oregano or 1 1/2 t. dry oregano (I used the dried stuff.)
2 t. red pepper flakes, plus extra for finishing
1/4 c. fresh chopped basil, plus extra for finishing (I used 1 T. dried basil.)
1 pound linguine (I subbed whole wheat thin spaghetti.)
1. Cut the eggplants crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices on a baking sheet, salt them well on both sides, and set aside for 30 minutes or so.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Drizzle two T. of olive oil over the eggplant, tossing the slices to coat them. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast them until they’re tender and browned, about 20 minutes.
4. While the eggplant roasts, heat the remaining T. of olive oil on low heat in a large saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and saute them until the onions are soft (8-10 minutes).
5. Add the tomatoes,oregano, red pepper flakes, and basil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, approximately 10-12 minutes.
6. When the eggplant is ready, remove it from the oven, chop it into 1-inch pieces, and add it to the sauce. Continue to simmer gently on very low heat.
7. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and gently fold in the sauce. Top the pasta with additional chopped basil and red pepper flakes, if desired.
No nutritional info provided by author.